Make sure your Charles Schwab 401(k) is working for you
Making changes to your Charles Schwab 401(k) portfolio can help you make sure that your investments are in line with your unique financial situation and goals. As a general principle, financial planning experts suggest investors should be:
- more aggressive when you have a long time horizon until retirement, because you’ll be able to ride out market fluctuations to increase your potential for higher returns
- increasingly conservative as you approach retirement, to protect your returns
Before making changes, make sure you’ve considered all of the investment options in your 401(k) plan (your employer usually chooses around 20 options).
We want to make it easy for you to make changes to your Charles Schwab 401(k) portfolio – check out the guide below to get step-by-step instructions.
Step-by-step guide to make changes to your Charles Schwab 401(k) portfolio
- Log in to your Charles Schwab account.
- Click the dropdown menu related to your 401(k) account. From the dropdown, choose “Make a change to my investments”.
- On the “Manage Investments on Your Own” page, click “Get Started” in the “Rebalance” section. (Schwab2)
- Here, we’ll rebalance your current portfolio as well as set up your future contributions to continue rebalancing your portfolio. Make sure to switch the “Future contributions” selection to “apply rebalance selections to future contributions”. Next, input the desired % allocation to each of the funds.